Conducting the Elgar Cello Concerto with Raphael Wallfisch
Steve has conducted and directed a variety of orchestras and ensembles over the course of the last twenty five years – from amateur ensembles and youth orchestras to professional chamber orchestras. However these conducting engagements remained relatively sparse until 2007 when Steve was approached to become the conductor of Ely Sinfonia, an amateur orchestra based in…..Ely!
He quickly developed a real love for conducting; it seemed a natural extension of years of experience as a professional orchestral leader. Having played a huge amount of repertoire over the years, and having worked with many of the world’s top conductors Steve has really relished the chance to use that experience from the conductor’s rostrum.
Ely Sinfonia has given him that opportunity and he is now actively seeking other conducting positions, with both amateur and professional groups. Steve is excited by the possibilities of developing this area of his work over the coming years.
Steve is currently also the principal conductor for the City of Peterborough Symphony Orchestra, and runs an occasional series of concerts with the Ad Hoc Sinfonia.
A broad cross-section of the repertoire Steve has conducted over recent years includes the following:
- Elgar…..Cello Concerto (with Raphael Wallfisch), Sea Pictures, Serenade for Strings
- Nielsen…..Fifth Symphony
- Schubert…..Fifth Symphony
- Beethoven…..Symphonies 1, 3, 5 and 7
- Copland…..”Fanfare for the Common Man”
- Shostakovich…..First Chamber Symphony, Fifth Symphony
- Gershwin…..An American In Paris
- Rossini…..The Thieving Magpie, and Italian Girl In Algiers
- Stravinsky…..Symphonies of Winds, Firebird Suite
- Britten…..Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge, Young Persons’ Guide
- Sibelius…..Violin Concerto (with Matthew Trusler), Symphonies 1 and 2
- Milhaud…..Creation du Monde
- Berlioz…..Harold In Italy
- Tchaikovsky…..“Capriccio Italien”, Fifth Symphony
- Saint-Saens…..Cello Concerto no.1
- Vaughan-Williams…..“Serenade To Music”, Fantasia on a Theme of Tallis
- Schoenberg…..“Verklarte Nacht”
- Dvorak…..Cello Concerto with Raphael Wallfisch, Symphony no.8
- Wagner…..“Tannhauser” Overture
- Rautavaara…..”Cantus Arcticus”
Conducting highlights over the next 12 months include Nielsen Symphony no.3, Brahms Violin Concerto, Shostakovich Concerto for piano, trumpet and strings, Walton Symphony no.1, Elgar “Enigma” Variations, Copland “Appalachian Spring”, Brahms Double Concerto with Elizabeth and Raphael Wallfisch, and more.
Please contact Steve directly for any further information, or if you are interested in booking him to conduct your orchestra or ensemble.